Monday, March 01, 2010

Creamy Mushrooms

For ages, I was addicted to the 'creamy mushrooms on Italian toast' they offer at Deli Marco in Dickson, then when I mentioned the dish to my Austrian friend Hermine she taught me how to make it ... her version is almost identical to the one at the cafe! Fortunately, Marco's have plenty of other yummy brekkie options, now that I can make my own creamy mushrooms at home.

button mushrooms (enough for two people), cleaned and sliced
1 small onion
2 tbsp sour cream
1 tbsp flour
olive oil
pepper and salt
parsley

Dice the onion finely. Cook it with a little olive oil in a saucepan, till soft and golden. Add the mushrooms and cook until the juice runs from them. Combine the sour cream, flour and about half a cup of warm water in a separate bowl. Add this mixture to the mushrooms and onions, and cook, stirring often, until it all thickens. Add pepper and salt to taste, and a little chopped parsley near the end of cooking. Serve on toast. Yum.

No comments: