Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Not quite the cendol I was craving ...

Cendol (or chendol) is one of my favourite desserts. Originating in Southeast Asia, it usually features green "worms" (made with green bean flour and pandan extract), shaved ice, palm sugar, coconut milk and perhaps red beans or grass jelly. The green worms are the best bit - although almost flavourless, they have a wonderful texture - and the dish as a whole is usually a delight. Anyway. Today I was in Civic with a few minutes to spare between appointments, so stepped into a popular Malaysian restaurant (I won't name names) and ordered a bowl of cendol. Oh dear! It seemed to consist of a very small amount of green worms, topped with a pile of shaved ice and ... smothered with caramel sauce. Ewwwww!! What a disappointment. If I wanted to eat caramel sauce, I would have bought a sundae at Maccas, not sought out "cendol". If anyone knows a competent cendol maker on the north side of Canberra, please let me know ...

I confess I haven't tried making cendol myself yet - it sounds a bit fiddly - but may have to resort to it soon if the craving persists. Rose's recipe is looking good ...

No comments: