Friday, April 20, 2012

Doesn't time fly?

For several years now, I've written a weekly menu to keep track of the meals I cook at home. From time to time I transfer the data into an Excel spreadsheet so I can see what we're eating and how often. You can see summaries of what we ate in 2009-2010 here and 2010-2011 here. Once again, I've tallied up another year of meals. Between April 2011 and April 2012 the following dishes were eaten most often at our place:

vegetable curry (12 times)
nachos (8 times)
rocket, pear, pecan and blue cheese salad (8 times)
dal makhani (7 times)
Spanish omelette (7 times)
spicy cauliflower fritters (7 times)
lasagne (6 times)
Thai eggplant curry (6 times)

Newcomers to the meals list this year include various vegetable curries (some inspired by my trip to Sri Lanka last year), various omelettes and fritters (e.g. zucchini, basil and feta), roasted vegetable salad with lime dressing (from the Blood Sugar cookbook), mushroom, potato and coconut soup (inspired by a visit to Bagus Place, Tioman Island, Malaysia), shakshuka, and a Sri Lankan-style cashew nut curry (from Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey cookbook).

This blog started out as my 'recipe book in cyberspace' and it still is – I often refer to it while cooking. But it seems to have become a resource for others, too – there have now been over 5000 hits on the blog, and over 2000 have involved my recipe for wattalapam (a Sri Lankan coconut custard). People from all corners of the globe seem to come to here (via Google) looking for a recipe for wattalapam! I hope they're not disappointed. Have you tried this recipe? Did you like it? Feedback is always welcome.

Thanks for stopping by, everyone!

No comments: