Sunday, September 01, 2013

How not to poach an egg

Yes, I know this is a first world problem. We go out to brekkie a lot  it is a regular Sunday morning treat  and I often order dishes that come with poached eggs. Over the past couple of years the eggs have sometimes been almost raw. I don't mind a runny yolk, but when the white is undercooked it is not only aesthetically unpleasant, but could be a health hazard. I can't work out whether it is because the chefs don't know how to cook the eggs properly, or are in too much of a hurry ... or actually think customers like to eat raw eggs? (Perhaps they do, and I'm the only person worrying about this!)

It's pretty easy to poach an egg well, at home at least. There are several options shown on the perfect poached egg site, and a whiz-bang video on how to get the shape right on the lifehacker site.

Maybe I'll just stop ordering eggy dishes. It would be great if you could specify how you wanted your eggs cooked, as you would a steak ... 'rare, medium or well done, madam?' Maybe you can do this. I'll have to give it a try. Feedback and suggestions welcome.


Today's brekkie at a Canberra cafe that will remain
nameless. Looks lovely, right? But when I cut into it
there was a sudden gush of raw egg white. Yuck.

No comments: