Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Orange and almond muffins

I've recently read Dr Robert Lustig's book Fat Chance: The Bitter Truth About Sugar. It was interesting and accessible, but didn't hold many surprises. The main take-home messages seemed to be that fizzy drinks [soda] are bad for us, and the industrial food system is evil. It did make me thankful that (a) I don't live in the USA, and (b) I can cook, so don't live on processed foods. Anyway, he had a few suggestions at the end of the book, and one in particular appealed to me. He said: 'take all your recipes, and wherever sugar is called for, reduce the amount by one third. I promise, your home-baked goods will be better tasting and better for you' (page 197). While I've often reduced the sugar in recipes before, I'd never done it systematically. I'm going to have a go. This was my first attempt ...

3 oranges
250 g sugar 170 g sugar
6 eggs
250 g ground almonds

Cover the (whole) oranges with water and boil for one hour. When cooked, cut up the oranges and remove any seeds and excess pith. Purée oranges. Beat the sugar and eggs together. Add the oranges and almonds to the egg mixture and fold together. Pour into muffin moulds and bake for about forty minutes in a 180 degree C oven.


They tasted great! You couldn't tell the sugar had been slashed ...

No comments: