Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Avocado, lime, ginger and pistachio ice cream

It's the middle of winter here in Canberra and we've been having some very chilly days. So, naturally, my thoughts have turned to ice cream! This week I tried adding a new ingredient (pistachios) to an old favourite. It worked well.


Don't be deterred by the idea of avocado ice cream. This is delicious.

1 avocado (or two if they're small)
juice and pulp of 2 fresh limes
125 g glacé ginger, chopped finely
0.5 cup caster sugar
0.5 cup shelled pistachio nuts
1 cup cream

Purée avocado with lime juice and pulp. Fold in ginger, sugar and nuts. Very lightly whip cream. Fold all together. Put in freezer. Take out 15 minutes before serving.

Now, back to thoughts of ice cream ...

When I was growing up in New Zealand there weren't many (chain) fast food outlets in the provincial city where we lived. McDonald's and Pizza Hut only appeared when I was in my late teens (the mid 1980s), though Kentucky Fried Chicken had arrived earlier. Speaking of which, does anyone remember the TV advertisement for KFC featuring two obese kids? That song still invades my brain sometimes.

Anyway. We didn't have many American junk food outlets at that time – probably a good thing – but there were a couple of fabulous ice cream parlours in town. One was called Danish Delight and offered waffle cones with super-creamy ice cream topped with cream and nuts; the other, whose name I've forgotten, had some really interesting flavours. My favourite was called Goody Goody Gum Drops. It looks like it's still available! I guess the nearest thing we have to it in Canberra is the Cold Rock Ice Creamery. I've heard the Frujii Dessert Laboratory in Braddon is good too, though have to admit I haven't been there yet. Maybe when the weather warms up a little ...

No comments: