Wednesday, February 28, 2018

When life gives you pumpkins... bake pumpkin bread!

OK, so life hasn't exactly given me pumpkins just yet. I bought the pumpkin used for today's pumpkin bread from my favourite organic shop Choku Bai Jo. But the pumpkin plants in my garden are blooming and I'm crossing all fingers and toes they'll produce fruit before autumn sets in this year ...


0.25 cup olive oil
2 eggs
0.5 teaspoon vanilla essence
1.5 cups wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
0.5 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
0.5 cup chopped nuts or pepitas (optional)
2 cups pumpkin, chopped and microwaved (or steamed) until soft

Beat oil, eggs and vanilla together. Add to sifted dry ingredients, nuts and mashed pumpkin. Bake in a greased loaf tin for 1 to 1.5 hours in a moderate oven (about 180 degrees Celsius).

Slather on some butter for a delicious yet nutritious weekday lunch.


Today I used pepitas rather than nuts

No comments: